My husband *loves* peeps. My son *loves* chocolate. This cake, courtesy of Plain Chicken on al.com and Taste of Home, looks like it will hit the spot with both of them. I think I’ll use this recipe for the cake, and I’ll definitely spring for homemade icing, using the recipe below, and then adding chocolate chips to the top and Peeps on the sides. Happy Easter, everyone!
Old-fashioned chocolate icing
- 1/2 cup butter
- four ounces unsweetened chocolate (usually four squares)
- 1 lb. confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter (or, carefully, in a heavy pot on your stovetop.) Mix sugar, vanilla and half of the milk in a bowl. Once the chocolate and butter are melted, slowly fold the sugar mixture into the pot. Add the remaining milk as needed, a little at a time. if you need more milk to thin the icing some more, add it sparingly, a tablespoon at a time.
- Let stand for twenty minutes to cool and thicken. Let cool completely before frosting.